Enjoy life. Just remember to work it off the next day.

Enjoy life. Just remember to work it off the next day

Hello, and welcome to my blog. First, lets do a little intro, and I’ll try to keep it short because I have a tendency to rant and ramble.
My name is Mike Lefebvre (it’s pronounced ‘Lefay’. I don’t know why) and I have been a personal trainer for almost 12 years. On top of that, I have a beautiful wife named Sarah, and two adorable children named Catherine and Brian. 
I am also a huge nerd, but we won’t get into that now, you’ll just figure that out as you read more of my stuff.

For now lets talk more about the title of this blog. “Enjoy life. Just remember to work it off the next day.”
I first said this years ago to a client that was moving out of state when we said our goodbyes. Since then it has become my catchphrase. It’s a slogan that I absolutely subscribe to as a belief, mantra whatever.

As a trainer, you would expect me to have a strict diet, with extremely rare instances of unhealthy food, alcohol or ‘cheat days’. But anyone that knows me knows just how far from the truth that is. Mind you, I’m not out here eating ice cream and pounding whiskey everyday, but I absolutely do NOT deny myself from stuff that I enjoy.

Dieting is extremely difficult. People think that working out is hard, but uh-uh. That’s the easy part. Finding a diet plan that is healthy, affordable, and that you aren’t completely miserable with is WAY   harder. In some instances, I’m fine with this. I can eat grilled chicken with brown rice for lunch almost every day and not have a complaint. I’ve been eating the same thing for breakfast (two slices of whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter) for more years than I can remember. Same goes for my protein shake. Same thing, every day, without fail.
But......
I like cheeseburgers. I like whiskey. I like salty snacks like pretzels and pringles.
A few years ago I decided that I wanted to gain 15 pounds of muscle. I put myself through a rigorous workout regiment, changed my diet around entirely and stuck with it. Now it did work, I put that muscle on and felt awesome. But I was also an irritable, miserable S.O.B.
Which lead me to discovering my balance between ‘healthy’ and ‘happy’.

I don’t eat cheeseburgers everyday, but I’ll still have one more often than you think.  I don’t drink whiskey everyday, but I will certainly indulge. And if it’s a particularly hot and humid day, you better damn well believe that I’m gonna go get a waffle cone and throw some ice cream in there.


My philosophy is simple. Track what you eat. Keep everything in mind, and remember just how hard you’re going to have to work to burn it off. Sometimes I’ll even make a mental note to myself (“ok, yeah I’m gonna have this third drink, but I had better damn well do 10 sets of pull-ups tomorrow”).
Maybe it’s not the most effective thing in the world, but again, it’s about enjoying yourself.

We get one go around in this life, and when my ticket gets punched, I’d be really pissed off if all I ever ate was quinoa and kale.

Find the balance between healthy and happy. Yes you can have that drink and that slice of pizza, but you have a whole lot of work to do in the gym afterwards. If you feel like you can’t find that balance, then that’s where I come in.

So until next time,
Enjoy life. Just remember to work it off the next day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spot reduction doesn’t exist.

Caffeine is your friend